No RISC No Fun
OpenPA is a resource for HP PA-RISC and IA64 (Itanium) computers with technical descriptions. This site is independent of and does not represent The Hewlett Packard Company in any way.
Hardware details of the PA-RISC platform are in the hardware section; computers lists individual PA-RISC and IA64 computer systems with PA-RISC operating systems detailed in software.
Many parts of the OpenPA site were updated, revised and cleaned up between the end of 2015 and January 2016, after a long hiatus. There had been no overt updates for years, but some effort was taken recently to bring parts of the content to a current state again and smoothen various rough edges.
- OpenBSD/hppa and NetBSD/hppa operating system pages updated to more current status
- PA-RISC Other Operating Systems page rewritten and cleaned up
- PA-RISC Hardware and PA-RISC Chipsets pages greatly rewritten (posted earlier)
- New and unified PA-RISC Timeline (posted earlier)
- Many PA-RISC Computers pages rewritten, updated and verified
- Review of external product documentation URLs (removal of 404s and finding alternates)
- Flush out some of the collected content here and there (timeline, prices, systems)
- New OpenPA Print Edition (2.5), with many changes and a large rewrite of the TeX/XML backend
- HTML and CSS of the overall site cleaned up
A new release of the print edition has been released after more than three years. It includes all the updates and changes from the online version between 2012 and 2016, and some new content. Main updates are PA-RISC system architecture, PA-RISC timeline and prices and wording and spelling corrections with several sections rewritten.
Download: Second Edition 2.5, (PDF, 1.3 MB, 375 pages, 2016)
A new page with timelines on PA-RISC systems has been added to the site, to detail some of the history and historic data of the systems covered here. The page includes content that had both been scattered throughout the site and collected here and there, and has now been combined into the PA-RISC Timeline page.
- Hardware Timeline (1982-2014): Release years of PA-RISC processors and computer systems as a rough guideline for PA-RISC history.
- Operating Systems Timeline (1988-2014): Release years of significant PA-RISC operating system, with the probable first release of a specific operating system version noted by year.
- Historic Prices: Collection of the historic prices of PA-RISC computers, around the date of introduction. These are indicative entry prices at system release for entry-level configurations which have been collected over the years from a variety of sources (press releases, articles, journals).
Download the OpenPA Print Version, Second Edition (2.5)
(PDF, 1.3 MB, 375 pages, 2016)
Includes all content from the Winter 2015/2016 online version.
For other releases refer to the Print version page.
OpenPA RSS feed with all news.