|Caches||64-256 KB L1|
|RAM||128 MB(/60, /80)
192 MB (/100)
|Bandwidth||Cache 480 MB/s
System 128 MB/s
The design goal of the 712 workstation was to reach performance levels of 1992-era workstations and servers (for instance HP 9000 735 workstation) at a fraction of their fabrication costs. Everything was kept simple, the case is one of the smallest Unix workstation cases, similar to the Sun SPARCstation 10 and 20 cases. 712s are very quiet, the fan of the power supply being almost not audible — the produced noise depends on the installed SCSI drive.
Introduced: early-1994 to mid-1995 (712/100)
prices from $4,000 (712/60) and $8,820 (712/80) to $15,100 (712/100).
- 712/60: PA-7100LC 60 MHz with 1 KB on-chip L11 and 64 KB off-chip L1 cache
- 712/80: PA-7100LC 80 MHz with 1 KB on-chip L11 and 256 KB off-chip L1 cache
- 712/100: PA-7100LC 100 MHz with 1 KB on-chip L11 and 256 KB off-chip L1 cache
- LASI ASIC, which features:
- NCR 53C710 8-bit single-ended SCSI-2
- Intel 82596CA 10 Mbit Ethernet controller
- WD 16C522 compatible parallel
- Harmony CD/DAT quality 16-bit stereo audio
- NS 16550A compatible serial
- Artist graphics, 8-bit
- Intel 82503 Ethernet transceiver, media auto-selection
- CS4215 or AD1849 programmable CODECs
- WD37C65C Floppy controller
- Two AM29F010 Flash EPROMs
» View a system-level ASCII-illustration of the chipset.
- 72-pin ECC SIMMs
- Takes 8-32 MB modules
- Either 4 (on /60 and /80 models) or 6 (on /100) sockets
- 16 MB (2×8) minimum, 128 MB (4×32)/ 192 MB (6×32) maximum
- Memory has to be installed in pairs, starting from slot 0, which is the closest slot to the drives.
- VRAM expansion slot for:
- A2263-66520M - Video RAM expansion for higher resolutions/more colors
- One slot for a GIO card (special formfactor GSC bus cards, only used in the 712),
with the following cards available:
- A2878A - second video
- A4011A - 8025 Token Ring interface
- A4011B - 8025 Token Ring interface
- A4013A - second serial port
- A4014A - second Ethernet LAN (AUI+TP) and serial port. Pinout for the AUI/RS232 Y-cable
- A4015A - second serial & X25 link (DB9M RS232C connectors)
- A4217A - second Ethernet LAN (AUI+TP) & second VGA
- TAMS 50488 - HP-IB interface
- One slot for a TSIO card (another special formfactor GSC card for the Teleshare expansion slot),
with only one card offered:
- A4012A - Teleshare POTS interface with two RJ11C jacks
- One tray for a 3.5″ Fast-Narrow SE 50-pin SCSI hard drive
- One tray for a 3.5″ Floppy drive with special connector
- 50-pin HD SCSI-2 Fast-Narrow single-ended
- DB9 male RS232C serial (up to 115200 baud)
- DB25 female parallel
- TP/RJ45 10 Mbit Ethernet1
- 15-pin AUI 10 Mbit Ethernet1
- HD15 VGA2
- Two PS/2 connectors for keyboard & mouse
- Three phone jacks (microphone, headphones and line-in)
- The system automatically detects the used port.
- You can connect almost any monitor to the VGA jack. The 712 can drive VESA compatible multisync, HP fixed-frequency and many other popular FF monitors. It also is able to produce sync on green signals.
There is an firmware update available for the 712, which contains the latest version (2.3).
- PF_C7120023.txt has details about the contents and installation of the patch.
- PF_C7120023 contains the patch.
- HP 9000 Model 712 Overview (PDF, HP Journal 4/95)
- Design of the Model 712’s I/O subsystem (LASI) (PDF, HP Journal 4/95)
- Product design of the Model 712 (PDF, HP Journal 4/95)
- In addition to the above almost the whole HP Journal April 1995 Issue deals with the 712 workstation.
- Product Brief HP 9000 Models 712/60, 712/80, and 712/100 Workstations (PDF, 88 KB)
- NetBSD 712 serial console HOWTO, instructions to configure 712s to use serial console (i.e., run headless)
- Pinout for the AUI/RS232 Y-cable for the optional second Ethernet/serial card.
- HP-UX: every 32-bit release from 10.01-11.11 works.
- NeXTSTEP: version 3.3 works fine.
- Linux: works fine.
- OpenBSD: works fine.
- NetBSD: experimental support as of 5/2005.
|Model||SPEC92, int||SPEC92, fp||SPEC95, int||SPEC95, fp||SPEC95
Compare these with other results on the Benchmarks page.
- 70×423×400 mm height/width/depth
- 8.36kg net weight
- 110W max. power input
- 1.2A max. RMS at 240V
- 2.7A max. RMS at 120V