HP 9000/743i & 744 VME Workstation
|Caches||128-256 KB L1
0-512 KB L2
|RAM||256 MB (743i)
1 GB (744)
(2 PMC PCI)
The Anole 743i and 744 workstations are VME Single Board Computers (SBCs). The whole system processing unit (SPU) together with the memory and several I/O controllers sit on a single-height 2U VME board, which needs to be installed in a fitting VME cage. This cage provides power and an VME bus connection for routing of I/O to either other VME boards (VME devices) or the so-called P2 connector.
The 743i and 744 SBCs feature a small set of expansion cards, which plug into the available expansion slots and include GSC-mezzanine (GSC-M) and PCI-mezzanine (PMC) cards. It is also possible to use an EISA or PCI cage on several of HP’s own systems based on the 743i and 744. Since the board also features an VME controller it can talk to and control other VME cards on the same VME bus/cage. Of note is that some of the pins on the P2-VME connector on the rear are used to route GSC bus traffic to several of the expansion options. VME cages need to be properly jumpered to support this in order to not interfere with these transfers. Also, it is dangerous to use these boards in a VXI cage since some of the VXI pins carry voltage which would result in damaged devices on the GSC bus.
- 743i/64: PA-7100LC 64 MHz with 1 KB on-chip I L1 and 256 KB off-chip unified I/D L1 cache
- 743i/100: PA-7100LC 100 MHz with 1 KB on-chip I L1 and 256 KB off-chip unified I/D L1 cache
- 744/132L: PA-7300LC 132 MHz with 64/64 KB on-chip I/D L1 cache
- 744/165L: PA-7300LC 165 MHz with 64/64 KB on-chip I/D L1 and 512 KB off-chip unified I/D L2 cache
The 1 KB on-chip L1 cache on systems with a PA-7100LC is not really a true cache.
- LASI ASIC, which features:
- NCR 53C710 8-bit single-ended SCSI-2
- Intel 82596CA 10 Mbit Ethernet controller
- WD 16C522 compatible parallel
- Harmony CD/DAT quality 16-bit stereo audio
- NS 16550A compatible serial
- Wax chip
- EISA bus converter (GSC-to-EISA)
- Second RS232 serial
- Dino GSC-to-PCI bridge
- 744: Phantom PseudoBC GSC+ port
- 744: Visualize-EG (
- Intel 82503 Ethernet transceiver, media auto-selection
- CS4215 or AD1849 programmable CODECs
- VME controller
- PCMCIA controller
- 743i and 744 use different cards
- 743i: 8-64 MB special ECC mezzanine cards
- 744: 16-256 MB special ECC mezzanine cards
- Up to four cards
- 743i: 8 MB minimum, 256 MB maximum amount of RAM
- 744: 16 MB minimum, 1 GB maximum amount of RAM
- Two sites for GSC-mezzanine (GSC-M) cards, requires the A4219A GSC Expansion kit or
- Two sites for PCI-mezzanine (PMC) cards, requires the A4504A PMC bridge board
(two additional PMC sites can be obtained through the addition of the A4509A PMC Expander board to the above)
- 50-pin HD SCSI-2 Fast-Narrow single-ended
- Two micro-DB9 male RS232C serial1
- Micro-DB25 female parallel1
- Micro-DB15 15-pin AUI 10 Mbit Ethernet1
- Micro-DB15 VGA graphics1
- Two PS/2 connectors for keyboard & mouse
- Micro-DB9 for audio breakout1
- These micro-connectors need HP conversion cables to provide the normal-sized versions of their respective connectors
There is an firmware update available for the 744, which contains the latest version (4.4).
- PF_C7440044.txt has details about the contents and installation of the patch.
- PF_C7440044 contains the patch.
- 743 Owner’s Guide (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- 743, 744 and 748 Technical Reference Manual (PDF, 2.2 MB)
- 744 Owner’s Guide (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- HP Model 748 Service Handbook (.pdf, 3.6 MB)
|Model||SPEC95, int||SPEC95, fp|
Compare these with other results on the Benchmarks page.