|Caches||64 KB-1 MB L1|
|Bandwidth||System 128 MB/s
I/O 32 MB/s
Wright Brothers are low-cost PA-RISC servers from the mid-1990s and the
replacements for the older F and G-Class Nova servers.
Designed for reduced manufacturing cost they were developed
in parallel to the HP 9000/712 workstations.
The case was taken over almost unchanged from the F-Class, with the CPU/memory and part of the I/O systems being new
From the integrated LASI chipset only
the networking and several other functions were used — due to time constraints a modified version
of the F-Class HP-PB
Personality boards was used for SCSI, serial MUX and parallel.
Model numbers, introductions dates and prices:
- E25: PA-7100LC 48 MHz with 1 KB on-chip I L1 and 64 KB off-chip unified I/D L1 cache
- E35: PA-7100LC 64 MHz with 1 KB on-chip I L1 and 256 KB off-chip unified I/D L1 cache
- E45: PA-7100LC 80 MHz with 1 KB on-chip I L1 and 256 KB off-chip unified I/D L1 cache
- E55: PA-7100LC 96 MHz with 1 KB on-chip I L1 and 1024 KB off-chip unified I/D L1 cache
- The 1 KB on-chip L1 cache is not really a true cache.
- LASI as central I/O chipset (not all functions are used)
- Wax ASIC
- HP-PB bus converter
- 8 MHz HP-PB frequency
- Implemented from the HP_PB converter of the old HP 9000 F and G servers
- GSC to HP-PB clock ratio from 3:1 to 5:1 synchronous with 32 MHz GSC frequency
- GSC to HP-PB clock ratio asynchronous with GSC frequency between 32 to 40 MHz
- 0.8µ in 208-pin MQFP
- Several HP ASICs, controlling the HP-PB SCSI and MUX port
- GSC system level I/O bus (128 MB/s)
- HP-PB additional I/O bus (32 MB/s)
- SCSI-2 Fast-Narrow single-ended bus; main storage I/O
- 72-pin ECC SIMMs
- Takes 8-64 MB modules
- Eight slots
- 16 MB (2×8) minimum, 512 MB (8×64) maximum
- Two slots for HP-PB cards
- One tray for two 3.5″ Fast-Narrow SE 50-pin SCSI hard drives
- One tray for three half-height 5.25″ Fast-Narrow SE 50-pin drives, externally accessible
- 50-pin HD SCSI-2 single-ended
- high-pin-count MUX connector
- TP/RJ45 10 Mbit Ethernet1
- 15-pin AUI 10 Mbit Ethernet1
- DB25 female parallel
There is a firmware update available for the E25, E35 and E45, which contains the latest version (1.3).
- PF_CWBR0013.txt has details about the contents and installation of the patch.
- PF_CWBR0013 contains the patch.
- Development of a Low-Cost, High-Performance, Multiuser Business Server System (PDF, HP Journal 4/95)
- HP 9000 E-Class Servers Product Brief (.pdf) Hewlett-Packard Company (1993: Hewlett-Packard)
- E35: complete, CPU, CPU rear, I/O board, rear (pictures © Copyright ESIEE; with permission)
- E55: front, rear, CPU top, CPU bottom, I/O top, I/O bottom, backplane, PSU rear, chassis front, chassis rear (pictures © Copyright Ralf Folkerts; with permission)
- HP-UX: every 32-bit release from 10.20-11.00 works.
- Linux: works, but hardware support for the E-class is very limited, i.e., the SCSI subsystem does not work.
- NetBSD: experimental support as of 5/2005, however some I/O devices are not supported (e.g., SCSI).
|Model||SPEC92, int||SPEC92, fp|
Compare these with other results on the Benchmarks page.