HP L1500 & L3000 (rp5430/rp5470)
|Caches||1.5-2.25 MB L1|
|RAM||8 GB (L1500)
16 GB (L3000)
|Expansion||8 PCI (L1500)
12 PCI (L3000)
|Bandwidth||CPU 4.3 GB/s (L1500)
CPU 8.6 GB/s (L3000)
System 4.3 GB/s
Mem 4.3 GB/s
I/O 2.1 GB/s (L1500)
I/O 3.2 GB/s (L3000)
The second incarnation of the L-Class servers are, similar to their direct predecessors
L1000 and L2000, 7U rack-mountable servers
with either 1-2 or 1-4 processors, 8 GB or 16 GB RAM and a large set of I/O options and
expandability. The internal system architecture of the L1500 and L3000 is different
however with central parts of the processor/memory and I/O system being a modified
Stretch chipset, also used in the rp7400 N4000 servers.
The L1500 features the same chassis and mainboards as the L3000, with a number of interfaces (I/O, memory, processors sockets) being deactivated in hardware, limiting the L1500 to about half of the L3000’s expansion options.
These systems only run 64-bit versions of HP-UX — 11.00 and 11i (v1 and v2).
The L1500 and L3000 could be upgraded with board swaps (main board, processors) to Itanium 2-based rx5670 servers.
- L1500-36, L1500-44, L1500-5X, L1500-6X, L1500-7X, L1500-8X: rp5430
- L3000-5X, L3000-6X, L3000-7X, L3000-8X: rp5470
The rp5430 (L1500) support up to 2-way and the rp5470 (L3000) up to 4-way multi-processing (SMP). There are several classes of possible processors, both shipped with the systems or later upgraded.
Both the L1500 and L3000 came with different system boards supporting different processors:
- L1500 (rp5430): up to two CPUs, system boards support all processors from 550 MHz to 750 MHz
- L3000 (rp5470): up to four CPUs, with the processor type depending on the exact model number
[unsure which models support the 875 MHz PA-8700+]:
- A6144A: 550 MHz processors
- A6144B: 550 MHz, 650 MHz and 750 MHz processors
- A6840A: 550 MHz, 650 MHz and 750 MHz processors
- A8328A: 550 MHz, 650 MHz and 750 MHz processors
Processor types are indicated with the following suffixes:
- -5X: PA-8600 550 MHz with 512/1024 KB on-chip I/D L1 cache each
- -6X: PA-8700 650 MHz with 768/1536 KB on-chip I/D L1 cache each
- -7X: PA-8700 750 MHz with 768/1536 KB on-chip I/D L1 cache each
- -8X: PA-8700+ 875 MHz with 768/1536 KB on-chip I/D L1 cache each
Mixing different processors/speeds is not supported.
The chipset based around the Stretch chipset:
- Stretch chipset consists of:
- rp5430: Seven Elroy PCI bridges, attach PCI buses to the IKE I/O controller
- rp5470: Ten Elroy PCI bridges, attach PCI buses to the IKE I/O controller
- Two HP Diva Serial [GSP] Multiport UARTs
- DEC 21142/43 Fast Ethernet controller (Tulip)
- Dual-channel Symbios Logic 53C875 16-bit Ultra-Wide SCSI-2 controllers
- Dual-channel Symbios Logic 53C896 Ultra2-Wide SCSI-3 controller
- Two Itanium system buses, 133 MHz DDR, each 2.1 GB/s peak, combined 4.3 GB/s aggregate.
Both system buses connect to the central Prelude memory controller.
- system bus connects I/O and two CPUs
- system bus connects two CPUs.
- Runway+/Runway DDR CPU buses, each 2.1 GB/s peak. Either two or four buses depending on the number of CPUs, with a combined aggregate 4.3 or 8.6 GB/s
- Two memory bused with combined 4.3 GB/s peak. 133 MHz DDR at 64-bit with ECC
- SCSI-2 Ultra-Narrow single-ended bus
- Two SCSI-3 Ultra2-Wide LVD main storage I/O buses
- ECC SDRAM DIMMs
- 256 MB, 512 MB and 1 GB modules supported
- 16 slots
- rp5430: 8.0 GB maximum (the system will not boot if more than 8.0 GB of memory is installed)
- rp5470: 16.0 GB maximum
Twin-TurboPCI 64-bit/66 MHz slots, each on an independent PCI bus, each connected via two I/O channels (aggregate 512 MB/s), hot-plug capable
TurboPCI 64-bit/66 MHz slots on three PCI buses, each connected via one I/O channel (256 MB/s), three of four slots are hot-plug capable
TurboPCI 64-bit/66 MHz slots, each on an independent PCI bus, each connected via one I/O channel (256 MB/s), hot-plug capable [two of these slots are not active on the rp5430]
- Two PCI 64-bit/33 MHz slots on a shared bus, on one I/O channel (256 MB/s) [these slots are not active on the rp5430]
- Two PCI 64-bit/33 MHz slots, reserved for LAN/SCSI and GSP (management) cards, on a shared bus, on one I/O channel (256 MB/s)
- All PCI slots are 5 V keyed
- Slot layout (counted from bottom up):
- PCI-64/33, pci0, reserved (LAN/SCSI)
- PCI-64/33, pci0, reserved (GSP)
- PCI-64/33, pci1, shared [not available on rp5430]
- PCI-64/33, pci1, shared [not available on rp5430]
- PCI-64/66, pci2, Turbo, hot-pluggable [not available on rp5430]
- PCI-64/66, pci3, Turbo, hot-pluggable [not available on rp5430]
- PCI-64/66, pci4, Turbo, hot-pluggable
- PCI-64/66, pci5, Turbo, hot-pluggable
- PCI-64/66, pci6, Turbo, hot-pluggable
- PCI-64/66, pci7, Turbo, hot-pluggable
- PCI-64/66, pci8, Twin-Turbo, hot-pluggable
- PCI-64/66, pci9, Twin-Turbo, hot-pluggable
- Four trays for 3.5″ Ultra2-Wide LVD SCSI hard drives with 80-pin SCA connector, hot-plug
- One tray for a half-heigth 5.25″ 50-pin Ultra-Narrow SE SCSI drive, external accessible
- 50-pin HD SCSI-2 Ultra-Narrow single-ended
- 68-pin VHDI SCSI-3 Ultra2-Wide LVD
- Three DB9 male RS232C serial (local console, remote console, general purpose)
- TP/RJ45 10/100 Mbit Ethernet
- TP/RJ45 10/100 Mbit Ethernet Web Console
There is an firmware update available which contains the latest version (44.12).
- PF_CARIW4412.txt has details about the contents and installation of the patch.
- PF_CARIW4412.tar.gz contains the patch.
There is also an firmware update available for the revision A GSP service processors on the A6144A L3000 which contains the latest version A.01.12.
- PF_CPREGSPA0112.txt has details about the contents and installation of the patch.
- PF_CPREGSPA0112.tar.gz contains the patch.
There is also an firmware update available for the revision B GSP service processors on the L1500 and L3000 which contains the latest version B.02.20.
- PF_CCANGSPB0220.txt has details about the contents and installation of the patch.
- PF_CCANGSPB0220.tar.gz contains the patch.
- User Guide rp5400 Family of Servers (PDF) Hewlett-Packard Company (November 2002, first edition, product number 5981-2650EN)
- hp server rp5400 series entry-level UNIX servers technical whitepaper, Hewlett-Packard Company (August 2002) [did not find an appropriate URL for this PDF document —Ed.]
|Model||SPEC2000, int||SPEC2000, fp||SPEC2000
Compare these with other results on the Benchmarks page.
- 368×482×775mm height/width/depth
- Rack-mounted: 7U height, 482×775mm width/depth
- 68kg net weight
- Up to three hot-swappable power supplies (one is standard)
- Each has 930W max. power input