HP N4000 (rp7405/rp7410, N-Class)
|Caches||2.25-3 MB L1
0-64 MB L2
|Bandwidth||CPU 8-16 GB/s
XBAR 8 GB/s
Mem 4-8 GB/s
XBAR-I/O 4 GB/s
I/O 8.4 GB/s
The HP rp7405/rp7410 N4000 N-Class servers are up to 8-way multiprocessing servers and the then smallest HP system which
could be hardware-partitioned into logical servers, two nPartitions.
Based upon the same 10U rack-mountable chassis as their rp7400/N4000 brethren, the newer rp7405 and
rp7410 are built around a completely overhauled system and I/O architecture.
Core Electronic Complex is a modified version of the Superdome’s cell-based
system architecture, limited to two cells, which each contain up to four processors, sixteen
memory slots and the central chipset.
The rp7405 was apparently an entry-level version of the rp7410 — based on the same hardware
and with the same capabilities but shipped in smaller configurations. Upgrades to a
were later possible, probably including a modified firmware for unlocking the full functionality.
The rp7405 and rp7410 support from two to eight processors. They are based on different system boards with different model numbers.
- A6752A (rp7410) support 650 MHz, 750 MHz and 875 MHz processors
- A7111A (two-way rp7405), A7112A (four-way), A7113A (eight-way) support 650-750 MHz
Processor types are indicated with the following suffixes:
- -6X: PA-8700 650 MHz with 2.25MB L1 cache
- -7X: PA-8700 750 MHz with 2.25MB L1 cache
- -8X: PA-8700+ 875 MHz with 2.25MB L1 cache
- -9X: PA-8800 (dual-core) 900 MHz or 1.0 GHz with 3 MB on-chip L1 and 32 MB off-chip L2 cache
- Maybe: PA-8900 (dual-core) 800 MHz-1.1 GHz with 3 MB on-chip L1 and 64 MB off-chip L2
- Maybe: Itanium 2/IA64 processors are probably also possible on some models
- Cell controller CC: the central chipset and crossbar. The CCs provide links for four processors, two memory banks, I/O via SBA, PDH and firmware, and second cell via the XBC.
- Master I/O controller SBA: located on the I/O backplane,
each is linked to one cell
Each SBA provides up to 32 links that connect to slave I/O controllers LBA.
- 28 ropes link to 14
Twin-Turboslots via 14 LBAs
- Two ropes link to two
TurboPCI slots via two LBAs
- Two links/ropes are connected via two LBAs to the Core I/O MP/SCSI cards
- 28 ropes link to 14
- Core I/O for the I/O functions system with a set of cards: MP/SCSI and LAN/SCSI.
- Two dual-channel Symbios Logic 53C1010 Ultra160 SCSI controllers
- Dual-channel Symbios Logic 53C896 Ultra2-Wide SCSI-3 controller (MP/SCSI)
- Gigabit Ethernet networking (LAN/SCSI)
- Fast-Ethernet (DEC 21142/43) Management LAN (MP/SCSI)
- The optional second Core I/O card set can be used for redundancy or partitioning
- 18 Elroy PCI bridges (LBAs) convert the links/ropes from the SBA into PCI bus (only 9 of these 18 LBAs are used when only one cell board is installed)
» View a system-level illustration (ASCII) of the rp7405/rp7410 system/bus architecture.
- Runway+/Runway DDR CPU bus, 125 MHz DDR, 64-bit, 2.0 GB/s per CPU, 16.0 GB/s max
- Memory bus 4.0 GB/s for each cell, aggregate 8.0 GB/s max
- XBC cell-to-cell link 8.0 GB/s aggregate
- SBA cell-to-I/O link 2.0 GB/s on each cell, aggregate 4.0 GB/s max
- 32 I/O links/ropes, 12-bit wide, 265 MB/s, 8.5 GB/s I/O peak
- 14 PCI-64/66 I/O buses for expansion slots
- Two PCI-64/33 I/O buses for expansion slots for Core I/O SCSI/LAN
- Two PCI-64/33 I/O buses for Core I/O MP/SCSI
- Two SCSI-3 Ultra160 LVD main storage I/O buses one on each cell
- Ultra SCSI SE for removable media
- ECC DIMMs, low-voltage TTL, 125 MHz frequency
- 256 MB, 512 MB and 1 GB modules supported
- 16 slots on each cell board
- 32 GB maximum, 64 GB with
There are up to 16 PCI 64-bit/66 MHz slots in the I/O cage, which can be fully accessed when using a system with two cells — with one cell board only seven slots are available. One PCI slot is dedicated to the Core I/O card set (see above) so only 15 of the 16 PCI slots are available for expansion options.
- Four trays for low-profile 3.5″ Ultra2-Wide LVD SCSI hard drives with 80-pin SCA connector, hot-plug
- One tray for a half-heigth 5.25″ 50-pin Ultra-Narrow SE SCSI drive, external accessible
- 68-pin VHDCI Ultra160 LVD external SCSI external channel from LAN/SCSI board
- Three Serial RS232C DB9 local console, remote console, UPS via a
M cableon MP/SCSI board
- 10/100 Mbit Ethernet TP/RJ45 Management LAN on MP/SCSI board
- Gigabit Ethernet TP/RJ45 on LAN/SCSI board
- User Guide hp rp7405/7410 Servers (URL gone)
- hp server rp7410 whitepaper (URL gone)
|Model||SPEC2000, int||SPEC2000, fp||SPEC2000